[NTLK] NUGWash

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 11:01:42 EDT

So, I left Richmond at about 5:00, fully expecting to be early ( I
figured I could blend in easily enough loitering on campus ).
Traffic was a breeze, and after a very pleasant drive through
Occoquan ( beautiful scenery with the leaves all changing ), I
arrived at the GMU campus. Hiked around campus and found the
meeting room in the AI lab - hey, Sean, how about a free online AI
course? :) Still about an hour early, I set up my iBook and watched
a bit of Akira while waiting for everyone else showed up.

Sean came out first, and for a while it was just the two of us
chatting about the Newton and Waba. Laurent showed up next with a
hefty load, and when we nearly collapsed into despair, Ed showed
up :)

After ordering some pizzas, Sean gave us a short tour on the way to
the Mall^H^H^H^Student Union, before continuing on his
demonstrations on Waba, showing us the ease with which these apps
can now be developed, complete with Newton UI. Dunno about the
others, but I'm pretty well inspired. ( Also, I got a first-hand
look at Mac OS X 10.1, which I had scoffed at due to lackluster
reviews on other lists, but after seeing it, I wiped Delian
GNU/Linux off my iBook, and reinstalled everything on it, and
bumped it up to 10.1 - _very_ noticeable difference - Thanks,
Sean! )

Ed and I commiserated about work and the pursuit of the knowledge
of computer geeky-goodness, while Laurent and Sean discussed
Objective-C development for Mac OS X ( and the older NeXT/OPENSTEP
systems ). Finally, I had to beg off at 1:00 AM, so we beemed our
cards around, and Sean made sure we were all up-to-date with our
Waba VM, and a few games to keep us going :)

All in all, I had an excellent time, and I fully plan on attending
any future meetings. This just further cements my admiration for
the wonderful inclusive nature of our ( diminishing? ) userbase.

P.S. The half-dead 120 hasn't been given away yet, but it'll go to
one of the three who expressed some interest. Frank, Ed suggested
that it may be a component in the lower left of the unit - it was
very noticeably whining. Any further suggestion you may have might
mean that someone will receive an already working unit :)

me = { 'name' : 'Zachery Bir', 'email' : 'zbir_at_urbanape.com',
        'voice' : '(804) 353-3742', 'url' : 'http://www.urbanape.com/' }