Re: [NTLK] Backups

From: Ermin F. Mistica (angel316_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 01:41:55 EDT

If there is one thing my Anthropology Writing Professor stressed was
backup, backup and just in case HAVE a backup for the backup. Anthropology
is one tricky profession. When I start doing Field Research I plan on using
my Newton and of course having a backup as well.

Ermin

> On the subject of backups, it's a very important issue for me right now.
> I'm preparing for anthropological fieldwork in West Africa and I'm
> extremely wary of getting my stuff stolen or broken. So much so that I'm
> bringing two sets of equipment, including a spare Newt. Of course, I'll
> only have a very limited amount of data on the Newt, but it'll be decently
> protected, IMVHO. Here's the plan: as a daily routine, backup the primary
> device's internal store to card and then to backup device as well as a NCU
> backup on PowerBook; weekly CD-R backups from PB (including NCU backup
> files) including a copy sent to my wife in Canada. Primary and backup
> equipment kept in different places at most times. Password protection on
> everything. Most important data sent through email to several people,
> encrypted.
>
> Oh, I know, you all despise me! You all think I'm paranoid! ;-)
>
> Alex Enkerli
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
> Indiana University
>

> --

"...and still like dust, I rise..."
-Maya Angelou