Re: [NTLK] NTK protocol

From: Konstantinos Xonis (Konstantinos.Xonis_at_physik.uni-giessen.de)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 13:20:37 EDT

Kip Knight wrote:

> Anyone know what the compression scheme for the NTK Toolkit
> communications protocol is? I've captured a conversation and sometimes
> it is compressed. Here's what I got:

[mucho deleted...]

> "newtntp cnnt" 00 01 00 00 00
Newt->NTK: Want NTK connection

> "newtntp okln" 00 01 00 00 00
NTK->Newt:Connection established

Hi Kip,

Well, here is what I got from taking a look into the ROMs.

"newt","ntp " is the Header for all communication between NTK and the
Newton.
This seems quite similar to the docking protocol. I think it should look
like
"newt"
"ntp "
Length or some Long making sense to the command. But this needs some
investigation.

Then there are several commands.

  "pkgX" DeletePackage
  "code" HandleCodeBlock which takes an NSOF function frame and
interpretes it.
  "rslt" Returns some result back to NTK
  "text" Sends some text header to NTK
  "eext" Enter Breakloop
  "bext" Exit Breakloop
  "eref" Sends Exception Data (cahr *msg, RefArg data)
  "estr" Sends Exception Data (char *msg, char *data)
  "eerr" Sends Exception Data (char *msg, long ErrNo)
  "fstk" Sends a stackframe to NTK

  "okln" Sent by NTK to ACK connection, if not Newton respods with
Error -28016
  "cnnt" Requests an NTK connection from the desktop
  "term" Requests disconnect (?) (Not quite sure about yet)
  "pkg " LoadPackage
  "stou" Set timeout
  "dpkg" ?? Probably request for Package Download
  "fobj" Sends any arbitrary Newton Object as NSOF to NTK

Hope I'll get deeper soon...

--
Konstantinos XONIS (XAKChaos of XAK-Design Wetzlar)
Buderusstrasse 14   FAX: +49 6441 390 943