Re: [NTLK] Apple to unveil new digital device next week

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 03:29:18 EDT

Mine's not that large either...I guess if gathered all
of it off of my three servers, I would have about
10-12 gigs...(with his 27 gigs at 320kbps, that gives
about 3,000 songs. Mine are recorded at 120 and
160kbps, gives me about 3,500 songs)
I'm one of those lucky ones. I run windows and I
stream my MPs from 3 different servers (three
different serving 3 different styles of music.
Mod/Punk, New Age/Classical, Electronica).
I'm running WinAmp from a custom server applet by
AnalogX. On win2K servers, this is quite a stable app
(for those interested, I'm also running SQL 7.0, and
Cold Fusion 4.5)
Unfortunatly, I can't point anyone to these servers
because they are in a DMZ that isn't very DMZ like
(it's more like an "MZ"...they don't even allow FTP in
the network)
I would run it from my DSL connection, but at 144kbps,
it's not that feesable!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- John Fraser <john_fraser_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Well Mine is certainly not that big but 27Gigs? How
> much of that is
> legal music?
>
> Not a personal attack but I think your issue is
> possible caused from
> having *too* much music.
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 07:26 PM,
> SlashDevNull wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have come SO close to getting a MP3 player
> that reads the MP3s from
> > your
> > computer. Having any song only 3 seconds away is
> extremely
> > convenient. And
> > as long as the MP3 is burned at a decent rate (all
> of mine are at 320k)
> > it
> > sounds wonderful.
> >
> > There have always been 3 problems.
> >
> > The first is that most home MP3 players usually
> have small hard
> > drives.
> > Currently I have 27 gigs of MP3 files.
> Manufacturers have gotten
> > smarter
> > and now they stream the MP3s from your computer to
> the player. But now
> > we
> > have the other two problems.
> >
> > The second problem is that all of them, that do
> streaming, require
> > windows.
> >
> > The third problem is that there must be an
> Ethernet connection or one
> > of
> > those goofy 1 Mb phone line connections. I'm not
> running CAT5 through
> > the
> > house.
> >
> > Now imagine an Apple MP3 streaming server.
> >
> > Using Airport.
> >
> > I will buy the first one I see.
> >
> > For a bonus, imagine an s-video connector on it
> to show QuickTime
> > movies
> > or DVDs on the TV.
> >
> > This will be good.
> >
> > David

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...