Re: [NTLK] VNC 3.3a2 avail (screenshots)

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 05:12:48 EDT

> From: "Grant [Postage Paid] Hutchinson" <grant_at_splorp.com>

> It turns out that I needed to be using a newer version of the Toolkit App
> (1.3) on my Newton (thanks to Victor for pointing that one out) to get
> screen dumps via NTK. Now that we've got that sorted out, maybe Paul can
> explain why the NPDS GIF server doesn't see the VNC screen contents.

I think I know the answer to this one. normal screenshot generators would
use the :ViewIntoBitmap method, which assumes that the application can
regenerate its view contents into an offline bitmap. in the case of VNC
(3.3a1,a2), these bits appear to be visible on the screen, but they're there
just ephemerally (smoke and mirrors) -- when a popup view closes, or
recognizer erases screen, they just disappear -- there's no local bitmap or
display list, so refresh via :viewDrawScript does nothing, and
:ViewIntoBitmap would be empty.

so, NTK must be using some different, low-level undocumented call to get the
screen buffer. (it's funny that I wasn't surprised when my screenshots
_did_ work).

anyway, VNC 3.3a3 (later Fri?) will be drawing into a local bitmap, rather
than directly to the screen. so most (all?) refresh problems (except overall
speed of course) will go away, and it'll enable handwriting recog, and that
_should_ also enable NPDS, Xport and others to capture VNC screenshots. (VNC
will probably also support CopyRect, which lets server and client be able to
reuse existing screen bits without having to send them over and over again,
e.g., patterns or wallpaper). now basically tracking down a few display
glitches (I think I saw a problem where gray bits were getting dithered into
b&w; Sean had noted something like this in Waba too; and some interim
refreshes or progress indicator so that you know if an update is working,
rather than a blank or static screen for N seconds).

--
Steve
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#VNC