Re: [NTLK] Experiencing Serious ATA 1.0b8-D Data Corruption (I can reproduce it).

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 06:40:42 EDT

On Fri, 2001-10-19 at 06:52, Paul Guyot wrote:

> >BTW I think there should be a way to disable all automouting in the
> >settings (perhaps there is and I've missed it).
>
> Well, it's not already written in the documentation.
> Having the system prefs open (only) -> erases the stores which are
> mounted. This applies actually via the system mechanism and it works
> when you mount a store (either automounted stores when inserting a
> card or manually mounted stores).
>
> Having the ATA Support prefs open -> do not auto mount stores.

Excellent. I left the ATA Preferences open and was able to insert the
card and format it without it being mounted (thus avoiding the instant
lockups).

Thanks also for the follow up info about ATA/Linear stores.

Regarding the latest Newton system update:

I see how you know :-)

MP2000 & MP2100 2.1 710031 (over 717260, 717145, 717006, 717041 &
717132)

MP2x00 710031 was designed by me [Paul Guyot] after Apple discontinued
NewtonOS with little information. Hence there may be some problems
although none were reported. It fixes the Date/Find bug. For copyright
reasons, I only published an updater, one for MacOS and one for Windows.
They can be found on Kallisys website:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/.

I had only read this:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIA4c

717260 introduces some changes with the contrast button (allowing
greater contrast control), and fixes a few bugs concerning memory,
printing, faxing and PC cards. See the Read Me file that comes with the
717260 upgrade for more details.

The 710031 patch (US MP2x00 only) also fixes the Dates/Find bug.

And misinterpreted the section as meaning that 717260 fixed the most
problems and that a Dates/Find bug was also fixed in an earlier 710031
revision. But the correct interpretation is now obvious.

Regards,
Adam