Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:43:53 EDT

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 02:21 PM, Brian wrote:

>> thinking that we could "fool" NTK to believe that there is a serial
>> port
>> somewhere, no matter it's real or not. The goal, however, would be to
>> use AppleTalk.
>
> Well, I've never read anything about faking the MacOS out like that;
> doesn't mean it doesn't or couldn't exist, certainly.
>
> But regardless of what you trick the desktop side into doing, "appletalk
> will NOT cross the keyspan device!" The keyspan will simply not route
> appletalk packets. period. so you'd have to make your own USB-serial
> hardware solution as well. No USB-serial solutions presently made will
> let
> appletalk (a routed protocol, remember) across.
>
> Am I missing something that you mean to do? Do you mean "send appletalk
> from the desktop but have it really be serial data only" so then you'd
> have
> "appletalk" set on the G3 and "serial" on the NEwton and have it all
> work?
> That would entail converting a routed protocol on the fly to serial data
> before it leaves the G3...(recall the adapter will be the same as
> /dev/null
> for any routed data like any of the -talk protocol data)...seems
> problematic...a new Mutated-PPP protocol for desktop and newton sides
> maybe???

No no no. I'm talking about NTK using AppleTalk. Under Classic,
AppleTalk would be configured to use Ethernet, since under 10.1, that's
the only option. So, I don't really care if a real serial port exists or
not. I just want NTK to launch, and I'm *NOT* planning to use anything
that looks or sounds like a serial port. I would want to use EtherTalk.
AppleTalk over Ethernet, if you wish.

What I did notice is that when you now try to launch NTK under Classic
in OS X, there seems to be a problem where NTK isn't able anymore to
detect any serial port. Even though I had configured it to use
AppleTalk, it is still choking because no serial port is available, as
opposed to NCU which will display a warning but will continue to work if
you configure it to use AppleTalk.

So, with all these talks, I did think at some point that I could maybe
use the NTK preferences file from Zac, which reported initially this
morning that he was able to get NTK going under Classic in OS X, using
his Keyspan adapter. My idea in using his NTK prefs file was simply to
"fool" NTK into thinking that there is still a serial port available. I
really don't care if it exists or not, since once in NTK, I just wanted
to use AppleTalk.

But now that I'm thinking about it. it must check dynamically at launch
fo see whether a serial port is available or not, so I don't think that
Zac's prefs file would work, since the last time I used NTK under MacOS
9.1, it was configured to use AppleTalk, not serial.

So, we'll have to do something on OS X to make somehow a serial port
available to NTK, or we won't be able to use NTK under Classic in OS X.

Does that clear up things a bit?

-Laurent.