Re: [NTLK] "iPod"

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:28:58 EDT

* Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> on Tue, 23 Oct 2001
| The big gripe I've read about every other mp3 jukebox is that it is
| difficult to impossible to manage the music on these things. In other
| words, you have no real control over what gets played. If the ipod fixes
| that problem in spades, then they've got something.

Really? Hmmm... it just took me 20 seconds to find "Rio" on my Jukebox and
queue it for playing. Doesn't seem like anything is broken to me, so I
cannot see what could have been "fixed".

| Add to that the fact that it's a seamless addition to iTunes and my
| existing Mac,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Important point. I don't currently own a FireWire Mac. See previous post
that goes into more detail.

| and an external hard drive to boot, and you've got me interested.

Enh. For an external disk it is pathetically small for the price by
today's standards. A 5GB IBM Travelstar disk costs about $110. The 20GB
IBM Travelstar that I put in my Jukebox cost $250. PC-Card breakout
enclosures can be had for around $50.

| It's not the obvious things sometimes, but the more subtle, that
| matter. We get so used to expecting revolutions, that we can't see the
| more peaceful changes, and some of us are so biased, that we can't even
| see a good thing when it's sitting in front of our faces.

Oh, I certainly can see a good thing in front of my face. iPod happens to
be mediocre at best, in my opinion.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should