Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 23:49:01 EDT

>* SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com> on Tue, 23 Oct 2001
>| It is innovative. iPod holds 5 gigs. And from what I understand it also
>| functions as a FireWire hard drive.
>
>Piffle. My Nomad Jukebox shipped with a 6GB disk over a year ago, was
>recently converted to hold a 20GB disk, and with the new 40GB 9mm height
>disks available it can take one of those, too. Big whoop that it can't be
>mounted directly on the host, except that a third party product lets me do
>that, thanks to the fact that Creative has released a Jukebox SDK for third
>party developers to do exactly that.

Apple didn't make their customers wait. They provided it out of the box.
  Advantage: Apple

And it's firewire, not USB or serial. Advantage: Apple

And what makes you think you can't put a bigger disk in Apple's unit.
I'll bet complete details on how will be available all over the web
within a week of it's shipping.

I've eventually put a bigger hard disk in every Apple product I bought
('cept the Newton, where I put bigger MEMORY cards in). Even when Apple
didn't support it. Even in units that didn't HAVE internal hard disk
support at all, such as the Mac 128k. In the case of my PowerBook, I'm
on my 3rd upgrade (4GB to 14GB to 30GB, and I'm eyeing 48GB and a bay
drive case for the 30GB)

>FireWire is nice, and while iPod is the first portable MP3 player to use
>it, I wouldn't call it a "breakthrough" or "innovation".

Oooookay.

So how WOULD you define something that someone did first, eh? Seems to
me that "first", "breakthrough" and "innovation" are pretty dang
synonymous.

Jeesh.... <shaking head>

>| No charging cord. It charges from the FireWire connection.
>
>Which means you have to leave the host on to charge the player, making your
>Macintosh the most expensive wall wart in the world.

Wrong! They give you a power adapter that the firewire cable plugs into.

Check your facts.

>Sorry, iPod is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

You know, people here gotta learn not be beat Apple up for marking their
products THE SAME WAY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD DOES. Jeez, people!

>Unless you count the fact that it can -only- be hosted by a Macintosh w/
>FireWire as being some kind of breakthrough. I call it "broken" myself.

I call it the first MP3 player I'd pay money for. And I've been looking.
 Hard. For a long time. And it never occurred to me that Apple would
ever make one. But now that they have, I'm not surprised it shot to the
top of my list. There are other interesting looking units, but none
that are likely to be as well supported on the Mac, or be as well
designed.

Is it perfect? No. But it's the best I've seen so far. Eventually you
have to make a choice and do something.

 - Bill