[NTLK] iPod...watch out for RIAA!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 02:04:14 EDT

I just read the following about the iPod:

"The device does not use a digital-rights management
scheme.

When it auto-syncs to iTunes, the iPod can only
connect to one copy of the software on one Mac. But a
manual mode allows the device to share songs between
any number of Macs.

However, Jobs said Apple does not condone stealing
music. In fact, he said, the company spent $50,000 on
CDs to go along with review copies of the unit so that
Apple would not be promoting piracy.

The iPod does come wrapped in plastic with a warning
in English, French, German and Japanese that states,
"Don't steal music."

"Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a behavior
issue," Jobs said, adding that all the encryption
schemes that have been developed can also be broken.

He added that Apple tried to go out of its way to show
its concern for artists' copyrights, despite the
relatively open nature of its hardware."

I think that the RIAA is going to look at this very
closly and if they don't like what they see, expect
another "Napster" like attack, but this time towards
Apple!

ed
web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...