Re: [NTLK] iPod!

From: Eric Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 06:08:15 EDT

Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com wrote:

> It's out!
>
> $399 for a kick azz, FireWire, 5 gb Rio/portable hard disk with autosync to
> iTunes? It just shot to the top of my holiday gift list...

Lessee... I own 7 Macs, none of them new enough to have FireWire (although I
could put a card in one or two of them). The big thing is... I don't even own
a Discman or even a Walkman, so why in the world would I pay $400 for this
thing? And there are (so I heard for the first time, here on this list) other
MP3 players built around hard drives? Big deal, then. I say "WHO CARES?"
I'll sit up and pay attention when Apple brings out something I need and will
use (in the non-computer arena).

BTW, WTF is up with this 'digital hub' thing? I don't get it. Everything in
my life that I need to have be electronic/digital ALREADY IS. Sounds to me
like a recycled version of putting recipes into your computer... Nobody does
it because it's not practical -- it's way easier to just pull Betty Crocker
Cookbook off the shelf and have it flipped open on the counter while you
work. Similarly, with the digital hub, it is quite possible to go overboard
in forcing things to be in the digital world. I mean, come on, does anyone
really even need to read web pages on a 1"x1.5" cell phone screen??? I got a
17" monitor because 640x480 just wasn't working anymore, so I'm sure not going
to pay through the nose for the privilege of looking at the world through a
soda straw. Just think of all the R&D that Apple wasted on this thing that
could've gone into bringing out a killer Newton followon or something else
that would actually ADD to personal productivity.

*sorry... rant off*

- Eric.