Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:31:53 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: UnravelUI_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:12:26 EDT
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

> In a message dated 10/23/01 10:51:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
> newton_at_ecity.net writes:
>

> > I've eventually put a bigger hard disk in every Apple product I
> bought
> >

> Eh. This isn't necessarily a good thing - it's only showing, once
> again, how
> much Apple underestimates the needs of its customers.

Oh, what a load of malarkey. Apple is all about the customer,
specifically making their devices usable by the majority of customers.
That does NOT always mean techno-geeks like me and thee, which is
probably a reason why techno-geeks often feel the need to dump on
Apple. Some of us have seen what they are trying to do and agree with
it though. They make computers that "your Mom can use" and maintain.
If you try to say the same thing about a PeeCee....you're lying.
Unless you Mom is a technogeek too. Mine sure isn't.

iPod appears to me to be (and iTunes is) designed for mere mortals,
unlike most PC's and most MP3 players I've seen. Not to mention most
VCRs (which are getting better, but my Mom still has me come over to
program her VCR for her)

> You shouldn't
> *have* to
> replace your hard disk - why not get enough space in the first place?

Oh, maybe because MY STORAGE REQUIREMENTS INCREASED OVER TIME?????

Happens to everyone. Or are you still using a 5MB hard disk in your
computer?

> Macs have always been crippled by their RAM and hard disk space - and

Another load of malarkey. The current TiBooks can have up to 1GB of
RAM and a 48GB hard disk from Apple (or third parties, if you want to
spend less), and if you can find a larger drive that's a 2.5" IDE drive
you could use it, as I've done twice with my 1998 'Book. I tend to use
laptops and don't pay much attention to the desktop mac specs, but I'm
sure that the specs are large there.

> like
> PCs or not, they've always been built to the hilt with such things
> when you
> spend the same amount of money as on a Mac.

Baloney. PC's are most often low-balled and you END UP adding all that
stuff. Why do you think Apple created the iMac, after all. And even
then they did a better job than most low-end PC's. One good example.
How many PC's come with Ethernet built in? Macs do. Even the lowliest
iMac. Most PC's don't. How many PC's these days DON'T get an Ethernet
card added immediately?

 And Macs need that space
> more
> than PC users.

Sorry, I don't buy that, either. It's a totally fact-free statement.

> Even the Newton - I have an un-upgraded eMate, and I keep reading
> about this
> nifty stuff that I can't play with, since it'll run slow as a glacier
> without
> the eMate memory upgrade - which, evidently, is fairly impossible to
> find.

And you could similarly point out that PeeCees are sold "lowball" to
get the price down as low as possible, you have to add things (like
Ethernet) on to them to get them to the state you really need....and by
they, they are as expensive or more so.

Most Macs are ready out of the box. Most PC's aren't.

> And would the 2100 have come out if Apple hadn't REALLY bungled it
> with the
> low memory on the 2000?

Of course. For the same reason that the 110, 120, 130, and 2000 did.
Time and technology march on. I'll agree they blew it on the memory
of the 2000, though.

> Then again, this whole iPod fracas allows Apple to sell an iPodling -
> clip-on expansion hard disk.

Doubtful. I didn't notice an expansion port. But I've heard (rumor
only, not fact, now!) that the reason they were able to get the iPod so
small is that they are using the newer 1.8" 5GB drives from Toshiba in
them, as the iPod is too small to fit a 2.5" hard disk (it's 2.4" wide
as I recall.)

 - Bill