[NTLK] Lamentations

From: Tim (speeddemon_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 17:28:25 EDT

    Regarding Apple's latest release, I do hope it is profitable. I do
think it's cool. The old mantra about not satisfying everyone is well
represented here. I do feel the market is smaller than Apple thinks
it'll be. Let's face it, the old "good enough" philosophy, I believe,
will keep the larger portion from popping for this thing, when cheaper
will do. We've seen it with Mac vs Windows. We've seen it with Newton
(while not really in a squared up head-to-head battle with Palm OS).
People flocked to the cheaper "good enough for what I need" Palm. Now,
people are wanting more from those Palms, but the butts are already in
the seats, so to speak. iPod conjures up images of that "Alien" intro
where the egg-pod cracks open. Doesn't really fit with a squared-off
device, but whatever. Sure, this is the first step. It'll get better.
Now if they'd build a slightly bigger device, with a real screen, and a
Newtonesque interface/pen input, I could just write what I wanted to
listen to instead of scrolling through menus. That also opens the door
to a handheld device with a built-in firewire drive for lightning-fast
synching, but the ability to stand alone, as the Newton did. As stated,
I'm all for Apple making money, but using a "Not a Mac" intro was just
plain tacky, and a real slap in the face to all of us who still hope and
believe in happy endings/new beginnings.

Tim