Re: [NTLK] PC Card Firewire

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 21:17:44 EDT

Why is FireWire too much work? At the core, both Ethernet and
FireWire are "simply" fast serial ports. (:

"All" someone would have to do is write a FireWire driver as if it
were an Ethernet driver, and voila, FireWire for the Newton!

"All, he says," I hear you saying. Yes, I realize that nothing is
that simple-- there are probably two totally different communication
stacks involved, not to mention a host of details-- can the Newton
even -think- that fast, or would it be forced to constantly send
pacing instructions to slow down the sender.

As far as the power is concerned, there's a teeny power Ethernet
card; aren't there any teeny power FireWire cards? Since Apple can
charge the iPod from the FIreWire port, would it be possible for Some
Manufacturer to build a parasitic FireWire card, that would suck
power from the network, not the host device? (Gee-- a vampire-based
card, and just in time for Halloween!)

Stupid! APPLE's already done it! iPod has one! Now, all we have to
do is buy an iPod, rip out its FireWire guts, stuff them into a
PCMCIA (sp) form factor, and we have the card. (:

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com