[NTLK] OT: Lo-Fi-IPod

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 05:04:20 EDT

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:33:35 +0200
> From: Hagen.Lang_at_t-online.de (Hagen Lang)
> Subject: [NTLK] Lo-Fi-IPod
>
> Hello,
> being provocative, can someone give me a clue what this MP3-stuff is=3D
> all
> about?
> I am into HiFi-audio for 20 years now (being 36 I hope at least someone
> remembers this old-fashioned/outdated audio-standard???) and MP3 with
> highest bit-rates sounds like a Brian Eno-bootleg-lp from =3DB479
> (on Mac OS as well as on Windows 2000, to avoid flaming) on my current
> 120 kg Focal-Evolution-speakers. Before MP-something=3DB4s audio quality=3D
> is
> not
> at least close to any 70=3DB4s Hi-Fi standard, not to speak of
> audio-CD-standard, I regard all those products as rip-offs. Or does
> someone ponder to enhance the
> audio-quality with some nice 500$-headphones ? ;-)

The nice thing about MP3: You can choose the bitrate.

I consider myself an audiophile, just for info.
I use MiniDisc, for about five years now, almost exclusively on the go or i=
the car, and I can recognize the difference between MD and CD on my stereo.
MD supplies me with the convenience I need on the go, and the quality is
decent.
I hated and denied MP3 for years, as most things you got where encoded in
128kbit, and that is truely awfull.
Then I got iTunes. With iTunes I was finally able to create MP3s at 360
(320?)kbit which sound okay, equal or even superior to MiniDisc, and to do
it with ease.

Back to your point: Basically, MP3 is for Joe Consumer, who doesn't care
much about quality (that's why MP3s from the net rarely exceed 128kbit), bu=
wants small files.
People who care about the quality don't save as much space, but again,
iTunes and now the iPod come into play:
With 5GB of space, you can have about eight albums with you, uncompressed,
CD quality. When if you consider MD-quality to be enough on the go, you can
have about 25 albums at 320kbit.
That's nice, and it puts MiniDisc to shame.

Using a quality mobile headphone (as the KOSS PortaPro, eg, excellent
thing), you will have lots of fun. If you can afford it, you may consider a
mobile electrostatic model by STAX.

BTW, Focal-Evolution-speakers may surely be nice, but since when do you
express speaker-quality in kg? ;)

Regards,

Oliver-bat-ear-Brose :)

--
- Macs sind f=FCr die, die nicht wissen wollen, warum Ihr Rechner funzt.
- Linux ist f=FCr die, die wissen wollen, warum er funzt.