Re: [NTLK] Belated thoughts--Cognitive Engineering!

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 10:16:57 EDT

This message from Dr. Forster is a very important essay at many levels. I
could take the discussion off to many interesting lines of thought.

What stands out here, as it relates to the Newton, are the comments that
illustrate the presence in the Newton history of 'concrete' thinking by
'engineers' who were not prepared to engage in 'cognitive' engineering.

The Apple experience at the time was to make really 'cool' stuff that had
some 'cognitive' engineering inspiration, but they quickly got bogged down
in 'cool hardware' and missed the mark.

Industrial design, pre-Newton, had turned the corner on the street to
'cognitive' engineering, but information technology engineering is still
creeping up on this concept.

Thanks for the splendid illustration of where things need to go.

Regards,

Richard.