Re: [NTLK] Rebuilding your own eMate?

From: Till (till_k_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 12:11:53 EDT

>I have often wondered why no one has transplanted the guts from a
>Newton 2x00 into an eMate. The increased speed, yet the form factor
>of the eMate? Why not?

It would be difficult... you would have to solder connections to different
ports. The display is different, maybe even the connector - probably the
Newton could not use it. I don=B4t think there=B4s a keyboard connector on t=
he
2x00 board. There is no serial port on the board. No earphone jack. There
are no volume and contrast sliders on the board, and no power-button for
the lid... Sorry to be so negative, but it seems like an awful lot of work.
Why not build a special case for the 2x00 which holds the keyboard, is
enclosed and has roughly the same form factor as the eMate, maybe that=B4s
easier? I would very much like to have such a case, and it could even hold
a super-dongle with Audio I/O and two serial ports... :)