Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #293

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 17:04:16 EDT

on 10/27/01 1:18 AM, Bill davis newton at newton_at_mail.ecity.net wrote:

> Now if I can just get Newton ebook makers to compress ebooks as small
> as the Palm does. Most of my ebooks compress to half or less of the
> text file size in PalmDOC format, but the version of PaperBack I have
> seems to make docs that are TWICE the size of the original text file
> (due to Newtons use of Unicode, I assume.)

Anyone thought about the idea of building a little library widget for
NewtOS that would speak UTF-8, that packages could then be built against
it that would be roughly the same size as the original text file.

Guess we'd also need package builder software that spoke UTF-8, so that
gets more complicated... Hmmn.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs