Re: [NTLK] Newton Message Pad

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 15:33:09 EST

>>IIRC, the largest book I
>>ever installed on my Newto nwas Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, which
>>is a 2.3MB package on the desktop, I believe installing it brought it dow
>>to 1.5MB.
>
>And how, may I ask, were you able to read the whole thing on your Newton
>without having to go to the optometrist afterwards...?
>
>Chris Searles

The same way I read things on my HandEra palm clone and on the Newton:
you increase the font size to a comfortable level for you.
PaperBack-created books allow this, I don't recall if NewtonPress ones
do. Plus, in dim light, you turn on the backlight! (Neither of which
you can do with a paper book....)

I've read dozens of ebooks on my HandEra and several on the Newton. The
reader remembers where you were, too, so you can switch to another book
and back without losing your place.

It's wonderful that I can keep a huge library of ebooks on the matchbook
sized CF card, and it's always in my shirt or pants pocket. The fact
that the HandEra lets you get more available screen space by hiding the
Graffitti area (since it's not silk-screened onto the glass), and the
latest book readers will let you read the book straight off the CF or
SD/MMC card (or even read text files off the card directly) is great too.
 I just copy 'em over to the card from my Mac or PC at work and read 'em
straight from there, categorize 'em into folders by author, genre,or
whatever.

 - Bill