Re: [NTLK] different PDA approach

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 16:56:01 EST

On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 09:40, Mark Ross wrote:

> >Slightly off-topic. I received a SPAM for a PDA that is Palm-compatible,
> >but it appears (to avoid licensing fees) you have to flash the PalmOS
> >into the unit after you buy it!
> >
> >http://www.gtownebook.com/
> >
> >That's certainly one for the copyright lawyers, it can run the PalmOS,
> >but it's not a licensee.
>
> This falls under the catagory of enabling enfringer. This is just as bad
> and actionable as someone who infringes directly.

Strong words. But fitting in today's intellectual property climate. Did
you notice it ships with its own operating system, Pembex Version 1.3
OS? Your interpretation is analogous to saying that shipping a computer
with Linux is enabling infrining because that computer is Windows XP
compatible!

An analogy which is even stronger and still a legal practice is that you
can ship a computer without an operating system.

Regards,
Adam