Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Steve Dockery (sdockery_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 23:57:33 EST

Hey Folks-

I'm coming in very late to this discussion, and I haven't even read all
the digests up to the current date yet (so for all I know, this
discussion has been tabled- if so, I'm sorry), but I have only a few
short comments:

1. The "Big Whoop" factor. So what if there are other MP3 players out
there. None of them have captured my interest. The iPod is the first one
I've actually considered buying (in fact, my wife and I will probably
both have one by Xmas time).

2. The "Mac Only" factor. I think it's a good thing. Anything that adds
to the coolness of the Mac experience is good for the Mac in general.
The iPod by itself may not sway people to buy a Mac, but it is not by
itself. Making this compatible with Windows right out of the starting
gate would dilute or destroy any advantage it adds to the Mac.

3. The cost factor. Sure $400 is a lot, but price is not the final word
on things.
I've had this argument for years with anti-mac people who said what was
wrong with the Mac was that it was too expensive. They had to find
another reason not to like the Mac when the prices came down. Cutting
the prices of Macs did not double their market share.
$400 is a fair price for what you get with the iPod. It may be a lot of
an MP3 player, but it's not just any MP3 player. It's a pocket Firewire
hard drive that just happens to play MP3's and also syncs with iTunes2,
and looks pretty spiffy to boot.

Somebody said it seemed like just a toy that Steve jobs wanted. I don't
have a problem with Steve Jobs wanting this toy. I want it too.

- Steve Dockery

(This message sent with Mac OS X Mail!)