Re: [NTLK] Paradigms of Portability

From: Ken Whitcomb (ken_at_imageguild.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 13:50:17 EST

Time for my dos pennies.

While size is a high priority, it becomes a matter of choice if the data
could be offered up on several form factors. Consider the possibility of the
type of data that we share being transportable and synchronizable through a
wireless database connection.

Because my calendar is dependent in several ways on those of other people
(my employer's, several committee's, my family's, church's, my children's
school, etc.), I'm envisioning the ability to subscribe to a calendar,
perhaps web-based for each of these groups. My PDA would synch with each of
them on some sort of schedule or perhaps even server push.

Perhaps there is someone here that could comment on providing Newton-esque
data handling in such an environment. What has attracted each of us includes
a variety of "wow" capabilities, but, at least for me, what has kept me is
the unique integrated way that this OS manages data that is crucial to my
life. If something like this could be developed for the newton (and allow
other OSes to access it in the same manner (although in a less sophisticated
way to use the data).....wow, my mind is reeling.

Ken Whitcomb