Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 16:21:15 EST

on 10/31/01 9:25 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_mac.com wrote:

> So my gut feeling was right (and maybe my memory helped) Analog recording=
> have their own limitations, even when they are of and it is partly about
> sampling rates.

Audio tapes have their own "sampling rate" issues. For instance, you can fi=
more "data" on a 1/4" tape than on the standard cassette 1/8" tape. A 1/2"
or one inch tape can fit even more. :-) And yes, analog has its own
problems--tape hiss, wow, flutter, tape bias etc. No medium is perfect.
That's why the audiophile niche exists. :-)

BTW, who was it, Carver? Who said that he could re-create the tonal
qualities of any tube amp on his transistor amps? That always struck me as
the most ironic admission of imperfection in the hi-fi world. :-)
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net>
<mailto:glasshaus5_at_aol.com>
 =B3the assumption that being a human individual is enough to earn one moral
protection of one=B9s life smacks of speciesism.=B2 --Professor Jeffrey Reiman=20