Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 16:23:43 EST

Michael J. Hu=DFmann wrote:
> Yep, and at that sampling frequency and with a 16 bit sample size, you
> need the approximately 10 megabytes per minute for stereo sound that are
> actually recorded on audio CDs. If any kind of compression was used --
> even lossless compression, for that matter --, you could fit much more
> music on a CD.
Okay, I've tried the lossless compression:
I took a short song, Blur's Woohoo, 44.1kHz/16bit w/ only 21394998 Bytes an=
compressed it with CompactPro: 22725499 Bytes.
Stuffit get's it down to: 19796675 Bytes which is 93% or 80min sound on a
74min CD. I think AIFF is not a very comfortable source for compression
which might be the reason for the development of the MP3 compression.
--=20
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand
http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing