[NTLK] Back on topic, believe it or not (was Checking in / iPod Comments ...)

From: Gerstein, Sam (sam.gerstein_at_streamserve.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 17:00:10 EST

> So, anyone use this Newton device much? It's really swank.
>
> later,
> --
> ben.
> onefishtwofish_at_mac.com

Speaking of music, compression, and the Newton(!),
I was thinking, that although it doesn't make a lot of sense to have an MP3
player on the Newt right now, simply out of storage considerations (though
this may change after the ATA driver is released), I think the Newton is
capable of decoding the stream, and we DO have ethernet on our little green
boxen- how about a ShoutCast client? Did I hear that someone had tried
porting an MP3 decoder to the Newton? Given that there are players for
StrongARM platforms, I'd imagine that building the C code for just the
decoding algorithm wouldn't be really difficult.. then you need to do the
(not necessarily easy) work of getting the stream of data over the net.
Anyone want to comment on the feasibility and usefulness of this idea?
(For those of you not familiar with ShoutCast, check out www.shoutcast.com -
it's a streaming MP3 scheme used by WinAmp and maybe other clients)

-Sam