Re: [NTLK] Clarity memory issue

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 00:20:20 EDT

Hello Dale, hello Diana,

I heard from Brant Sears recently (the developer behind Clarity). And he is
very much interested in hearing about the use of Clarity -- both positive
and negative comments are welcome.
Let him know; eMail him at <mailto:brantsears2001_at_yahoo.com>.
Not that he'd improve Clarity beyond the current version, but he's thinking
about a desktop version that is OS X native (going far beyond what Clarity
does) and a possible PALM version (doing far less than what the Newton
version can do). Also, let the list know how things work out with Clarity
throughout the schoolyear.

He's also been in contact with his former employer trying to release the
source code for Clarity. There are some legal issues involved and he wants
to clear them up before releasing the code.

This code might be of interest to programmers in general, because there are
some features in Clarity that are WAY COOL -- like for example the Tree
View and the Tabs Control.

Anyway, here is an excerpt from the eMail he sent me some days ago:

>Regarding the source, I sent a letter to Data Crtical
>which is the company that bought my old employer. I
>sent it about three or four weeks ago and I have not
>heard back on this yet.
>
>Regarding people doing import/export functionality,
>that's great!
>
>I've been thinking about doing a Mac OS X project
>which would be similar to Clarity in some ways. I'm
>trying to figure out now what features would be most
>desireable in such a program. I'm thinking that there
>are probably a lot of classroom management programs
>available already for Mac. So, I'm thinking of
>concentrating more on the ability to create data entry
>forms, record data, and be able to export it to other
>programs like SPSS.
>
>Some features that I'm considering for this are the
>ability to push the form down to a Palm OS based
>device, record data, and then bring the data back into
>the Mac. I'm also considering whether the program
>should support graphing of the data. Mac OS X has a
>new graphics system that makes it easy to do really
>cool things with graphics and it wouldn't be too hard
>to make it graph data. Although if I did that, I
>couldn't support Mac OS 8 or 9, so there is a tradeoff
>there.
>
>Anyway, in the course of using Clarity, you might
>think about what features are most and least useful to
>you. Second question, would you personally be
>interested in a program like what I'm describing and
>what features would you want to see?

sorry that all this got a little long and a little bit off topic...

Otto

*****