[NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Seth Vidal (skvidal_at_phy.duke.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 17:56:56 EDT

Hi folks,
 I've been talking to some of the ipaq-linux folks. They are porting linux
to the ipaq and writing apps to make linux workable. My question is
specifically what is apple's take on releasing some of the code for the
handwriting recognition system? Has anyone ever approached them about it?
Are there any apple-employees who worked on the newton on this list.

Right now, the major input methods are grafitti or single-stroke based.
That, as everyone on this list surely knows, is insufficient for what we
want.

I've been doing a lot of research into the newton community in the last
week and I've been finding an area I'm confused about. After apple
announced the death of the newton there was an immediate "we want more
newtons" from the community but then nothing. Maybe I missed it but it
seemed like there has been very little in the last 2 years. There is a
community of users and developers but they are developing _for_ the
operating system not developing the operating system. There are some
drivers being written and the ROM analysis project but not much more.

Specifically, I've seen few people interested in a source-code-dump of
the NewtonOS or the Handwriting Recognition system. If something like that
were available then the newton features (of which the HWR is the most
significant,IMO) could live on in another device. There are a lot of
Strong-Arm Based devices available in the wild now. There is clearly
processing power to do the stroke->dictionary comparison. The real
difficulty is writing/getting the code.

This is a fairly detailed description of apple's HWR for the newton.
http://www.evergreen.edu/user/CISE/Yaeger.Handwriting.pdf

Does anyone have any more information or anything to add?
I love the newton and I intend to continue using mine but the hardware
will only last for so long and I'd love to see the HWR in a good place,
more importantly in a place where it can continue even w/o a company
behind it.

I know this was long, sorry my introduction to the list is not more brief.

Thanks.

-sv