[NTLK] Newton PDF poll status

From: Laurent Domenech (laurent_at_opalis.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 03:40:21 EDT

Hi there,

The current status of the poll being 18 for the desktop solution to 7 for
the Newton solution, I'm not sure I'll wait much longer. Let's say I'll
close the votes at the end of this week.
As a reminder:

Solution 1 "All Newt":
----------------------
A Newton program that reads a PDF and/or translate it to another standard
tool or format. An option would offer to delete the PDF once it's been
converted.

Pros: Newton-only solution.
Cons: Storage space. Compatibility with old Newts.

My opinion: I like this one because it would mean pure Newton programming
but the storage factor seems a big minus for me. I don't want to buy more
storage space for this and I don't expect others to do so.

Solution 2 "Desktop Conversion":
--------------------------------
A desktop program that would convert a PDF to a Newton package (most likely
a NewtonBook), ready to be transferred with NCU. It would accept drag'n
drop, monitor a specific folder and would perform the conversion
automatically using your prefs so that you only need to either drag the PDF
or save it from your favorite browser to the location you want and it would
generate the file without asking you anything and save it where you want
(preferably the default NCU folder for selecting files to send to the
Newton).
I would do a Mac OS _and_ a Windows version, probably starting with the Mac
(carbon)...

Pros: Storage would be minimal on the Newton.
Cons: Desktop solution.

My opinion: I like this one too. This is closer to the way I'm using my
Newton.

Notes:
------
For both solutions, the app would only display text at first and maybe
graphics later. Of course, it would be free.

To send your vote: