Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #179

From: Tim (speeddemon_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 10:06:44 EDT

    I recently gave in and got a Prism. After a week of use, I sorely
miss the HWR of my MP 2000. I still have the Newt, and use it for email,
etc. Sometimes I get it out just to write and enjoy the feeling. The
Visor is good at what I use it for, but if ePocrates ran on the Newt, I
wouldn't have the Prism. The color is great, the games are a nice touch,
but the Newton still reigns supreme. Just last week at work we were
working out a mix on a medication we wouldn't normally handle. The Palms
all came up short on the info. Out came the Newt to save the day, and it
did! Now I'm sure the palms could have the same info plugged in, but
they didn't, and they didn't have the flexibility in the software to
work with the info we had. The older Newt software appears to be more
thoroughly written, reflecting the heart of what Apple was (I say was,
because I'm not sure it still is)....despite being in a death-spiral at
the time. I also miss the ability to jump between multiple programs via
the finder-like "Tasklist" program. Thanks to SBM for that freeware.
It's funny. Palms are popping up everywhere, but when the Newt pops up,
you can see the effect on the Palmers. A little snide, but mostly lusty,
especially when I pop out that Titanium stylus. The Newt is taking a
place of nostalgic cool in the same way a '57 Chevy or other classic
does. Amongst all the latest, it still draws a crowd.

Tim