[NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: DON (don_at_dcphotos.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 10:19:57 EDT

>> As 'technically' illegal as it is (and we SHOULD try to obey the law),
>> I think we're sometimes being a little anal retentive
>> about this.
>>
>> From a legal standpoint, maybe it's not abandoned, but from a practical
>> real-world situation, if that's not abandoned, what is?
>>
>> Depends on the definition of is?
>
> hear hear.
>
> I couldn't agree more, though I'm not advocating illegality here,
> abandonware has a category on it's own as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Robert Benschop

Let me start by saying it isn't "'technically' illegal", it IS illegal. I
like the quote "(and we SHOULD try to obey the law)" the inclusion of the
word try makes all the difference. It ought to read "and we SHOULD obey the
law".
It seems like we are trying to justify our desires to have this software.
It is more an ethics question now. Do we respect the property of others or
do we justify the means.
Look, I'm not trying to be holier than thou, believe me if it gets posted
I'll be downloading'.
I'm just not going to try to justify it as "abandon ware" or anything else.
Don