Re: [NTLK] New Newton

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 10:41:44 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/6/01 10:29 AM, the entity known as Marco
Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com conveyed the following:

> Just a note but I think I was ahead of my time when about a year ago I
> proposed building a new newt... I guess someone will do it since it's such
> a nice OS just who that is I have no clue but I would buy it without a
> second thought!
> What about porting NOS onto e.g. a iPAQ unit? Maybe the boot system of the
> iPAQ could be cheated or changed? Okay, nobody has the sourcecode of NOS nor
> the iPAQ boot sequence... :-(

OK, here's a different thought... Several times throughout the Mac's
history, companies have come up that offered alternate machines. This was
NOT cloning, but rather they'd essentially strip the guts of an existing Mac
and remanufacture it into something new. (I'm particularly thinking of the
Outbound (?) portable. But there's a place that does conversions to make
rack-mount iMacs.) So, if anyone's looking for an entrepreneurial
opportunity... ;-)

- Eric.