Re: [NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 12:30:02 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/6/01 12:05 PM, the entity known as System
Support Products, Inc. at sspi_at_ix.netcom.com conveyed the following:

> At 11:41 AM -0400 9/6/01, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
>> Again, your statement only holds IF the copyright holder chooses to protect
>> the copyright. If a copyright is held by anyone and they fail to defend
>> that copyright, then the copyright vanishes, it's as simple as that. And,
>> at that point, any talk of infringement becomes moot. At least, that's
>> always been *my* understanding of copyright.
>
> Which shows why it's not advisable to be making quasi-legal
> opinions on subjects when you're not a lawyer:
>
> <http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html>
>
> See #5.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Lou Forlini
> Software Engineer
> System Support Products, Inc.

I would say, then, that a number of us stand humbly (or not so humbly, as
the case may be) corrected.

Of course, item #11 on that list seems to imply a sort of judicial "no harm,
no foul" principle, in which case the posting of true abandonware would seem
to entail a rather low level of legal risk.

- Eric.