[NTLK] Pirated software

From: Tim (speeddemon_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 14:59:19 EDT

I never said I advocated pirating software. Period. I did say it was
nothing personal, but you took it that way, or so it appears
(Lou). Look, writing software is an area I haven't ventured into yet.
Don't know if I ever will. But I have to say that when I buy something,
it's mine. The software people, music people, Apple, whomever, do
not have the right to tell me I can't transfer my product to a new
machine (which they're starting to do), or make copies for my personal
use. By the same token, the
video people are trying to keep me from copying a DVD I've paid for.
Maybe I want a VHS tape for my little cabin.
Nope, I have to buy 2 DVD's and 2 players? Here's my software. I can't
make any money on it anymore. I can't afford to
update it. I don't have time to fool with it. That's my point. Cut it
loose! Make it freeware(no profit potential--remember?), or
sell it to an interested party. There are no guarantees a program will
be profitable when introduced so where is it written that
when the profit margin slips along the way, it's no longer warrants
continued development? It's the risk of business.If
software developers/companies want to dictate what I do with their
products when I buy their products they should be bound
by that same contract to provide support and updates for as long as I
use their product. They want a binding contract, they
have to be held accountable, and responsible for their product. They
want to come back and say, "Hey, you can't do that."
What gives? This would be akin to having a wreck and saying, "Don't sue
me. Yes, I bought it from GM, but it's still their car,
so sue them." Does this make any sense? "Where do they get off? No
support (for years in some cases), but they want to
jump right back and say it's theirs? I guess the software people (not
all of them--don't think I'm starting a war with you guys.
Some of you do great things and where would we be without you blessed
few?).. have been patting themselves on the back
by slipping all this in without binding laws like I mentioned regarding
the auto industry. It's probably a prime reason there's
so much crappy software out there. If developers were bound to support
things as I've stated, I suspect the whole computing
industry would be a much cleaner operation. I know it's all about the
money. I'm not an idealist flowerchild spouting peace
and harmony for all. I do believe that these one-way contracts with
software people are wrong. If you put it out there, there
should be accountability for as long as it's in use, or at least for a
specified period of time. After that, the developer has no
claim, and is no longer required to support it. That's fair, but it'll
never happen. Do grocery stores tell me how to eat my food?
I guess that'll be next. Reality check anyone?