Re: [NTLK] 10-digit dialing from a Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 02:05:07 EDT

I just deleted the area code in my owner information.
So, it dials the area code all the time...no harm...I
used to put the areacode and phone number in the phone
section as one long 10 digit phone number...but I got
tired of going back and editing all my phone number
entries!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jim Johnston <jimthej_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

> on 9/6/01 9:24 PM, James Buxton at
> bux1234567_at_mac.com wrote:
>

> > Sorry if this has been covered before.
> >
> > My city is getting ready to switch to mandatory
> 10-digit dialing. With
> > mandatory 10-digit dialing, the area code must be
> dialed to complete the
> > call, even when the called number=B9s in the same
> area code as the number fro=
> > which one is dialing.
> >
> > When making calls, the Newton seems to drop the
> area code from the called
> > number if it=B9s the same as the area code of the
> worksite from which one is
> > dialing.=20
> >
> > I=B9ve gotten around the issue inelegantly by
> including in the area-code fiel=
> > of the worksite that I=B9m calling from all the
> area codes in effect for that
> > worksite. This way, the Newton seems to think that
> the worksite=B9s and the
> > called-number=B9s area codes are different and
> therefore includes t
> > he now-mandatory area code.
> >
> > Given that 10-digit mandatory dialing seems to be
> required now in so many
> > cities and eventually in every city in the United
> States, what elegant
> > solution has anybody come up with?
> >
> The easiest way is to add the area code as a dialing
> prefix in the worksite
> of the Owner Info. As long as you use that worksite
> the area code will be
> automatically added.
> That's about as elegant as it gets. Set and forget.
> >

> --
> Jim Johnston
> Teacher
> Mac Smacker
> Newton User

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...