Re: [NTLK] Trials and Tribulations of "Abandonware"

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 06:29:15 EDT

Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com) wrote:

> I do have a vague recollection of something like that (beware, I might be
> totally wrong here) by an Italian (?) company that turned it into freeware
> after the Newt got discontinued, but I don't remember it's name....

Robert,

that's Pocket-HouseMap from Cigraph (www.cigraph.com). Quoting from the

"Like its well-known 'parent', Pocket-HouseMap can 'freeze' the geometry
of the room by simply entering the dimensions of the sides and diagonals.
Holes for doors and windows, for example, can be inserted by simply
tapping with the palm-size PC's pen. Another important option when
entering measurements is provided by the possibility of connecting the
palm-size PC to a laser meter (LeicaTM, Disto) to automatically obtain
the input of the dimensions relating to the sketch produced. Each room is
stored in a pop-up menu for easy access and reference. Connection of the
surveyed rooms is made by the identification of common doors. Areas,
text, dimensions and library objects can be inserted to complete the
drawing. As an option, an outer perimeter can be added to the end project
to indicate the thickness of the external walls. Once the calculation is
complete, the user can export the final plan (completed with objects such
as chairs, tables, pillars, etc.) into other platforms by appropriate
conversion files."

Pocket-HouseMap was originally written for the Newton, but after the
Newton's demise, Cigraph ported it to Windows CE. In 1999, we got
Cigraph's permission to publish the Newton version of Pocket-HouseMap and
its Mac OS counterpart Pocket I/O on our macmagazin-CD (10/99). At that
time, it was also available for downloading from Cigraph's website.

And yes, Cigraph is indeed an Italian company.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de