Re: [NTLK] Synching my Newton with the Palm

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 08:04:51 EDT

> The problem is that I keep getting a doubling of my data when I do the
> Merge. It works fine when I open a New File and Merge my Claris Calendar.
> But when I do another Merge of the Address book into the same file, I get
> a doubling of the Calendar--two copies of every appointment!!
> Has anyone else had this sort of problem?
> Has anyone found a routine to successfully transfer infor into their Palm
> from the Newton? I actually don't want to do a synch--I want the data to
> go one way--Newton wins.
That's exactly what I want and do: The Newton is the master and anything
else like the Palmtoy is slave, including PalmDesktop on the Mac. Therefore
I do "synchronize" but with "Newton wins" activated to all four soups. Then
I copy the CO2/PD file onto the desktop and rename it to "user data" and
shift that into the PalmDesktop user folder. In order to avoid all entries
doubled I simple brain wipe the Palmtoy each time :-) and restore everything
including the new Newton data. This works but take a lot of time too. It is
much less information than I have on my Newton (think of QuickFigure, nWorks
and all the webpages and gadgets) but it takes at least as long. The serial
com I've set to maximum possible speed. What I noticed on the long restore
times is that the power consumption of the Palmtoy is enormous in comparison
to normal use. At one restore attempt the process hung and I didn't realize
it. After 4h I resetted the Palmtoy and found its formerly fresh alkaline
cells half discharged.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing