Re: [NTLK] The Value of Synching (was: Soups and the Newton's downfall)

From: John Del Pizzo (jdpizzo_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 09:14:39 EDT

On 9/7/01 2:01 AM, "Ed Kummel" <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> so eloquently stated:

> The Newton NOT CONVENIENT?!?!? acckkk! My ears...I
> think they're bleeding! oops, I guess I read that...My
> Eyes! they're...oh! you get the point.
> really though. When is my Newt NOT convenient?

Well, everybody's situation is different. For me, I have to have my laptop
with me whenever I'm on campus. For example, the professor's in my program
like to distribute everything via the web. First, this requires a special
browser plug-in so I can access the "secure" pages. Second, most of the
documents that get distributed are unreadable directly on my Newt (pdf, word
docs, excel). And third, the campus is completely hooked up for wireless
networking and (as we all know) the Newt can't do that. So, since my laptop
is almost always on (and it's on even in class... IM is a great thing) why
wouldn't I want to have access to my info there?

Synching becomes important because when I'm not on campus, I don't want to
lug around my laptop (yes, even a 5.3lb TiBook can get heavy). I can take my
finances with me on Quicken, my schedule, classmates contact info, etc. But,
I need to be able to get all of that back to my laptop when I get home.

Everybody's different.

John