Re: [NTLK] Soups and the Newton's downfall (Re: Clarity Memory Issue)

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 11:15:38 EDT

on 9/7/01 9:37 AM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:

> on 9/7/01 4:11 AM, Richard G. DAVIS at msys1_at_charter.net wrote:
>
>> I do strongly believe, however, the the Newton software engineering design
>> was a major strength, one that is/was superior to most alternatives.
>>
>> Why is it that second rate stuff always seems to prevail over better stuff?
>
> Does it "prevail?" I mean, does the Ford prevail over the BMW? Does the
> roach prevail over the human? I don't like that word "prevail" personally.

Ah... Language... Isn't it wonderful/frustrating? How a word gathers up
meaning and responses beyond intent. Let me see... Just how should be
characterize the present status of the Newton in the world of information
technology, or in the everyday life of people who want to manage information
beyond what then can keep in mind from day to day?

As I chose the word "prevail" I was thinking of the rational choices made by
people that has brought us to this point. Is MicroSoft technology "first
rate" or just "more prevalent"? Were the thin skinned, high profile, puny
gunned Sherman tanks of WWII "first rate" weapons, or did they "prevail" in
spite of their weaknesses? If not "prevail", then perhaps simply "survive".

But, then, again, perhaps I oversimplify what is really a very complex
issue.

> In the case of the Newton, one might say that it did, but the truth is that
> design. One lack--no hwr. I can't stand grafitti, and could never get
> accustomed to the limits of such a system... That's my break point. :-)

Remember, that Grafitti grew out of the failure of the early Newton line to
be capable of doing handwriting recognition at human writing speeds....

Once the Digital StrongARM chip went into the Newton, and could keep up with
the execution of HWR programs, Graffiti became an orphan looking for a home.
It found its place in the shirt pocket--with occasional journeys to the palm
(sic!), and that whole market sprang up around a solution to a problem that
no longer existed.

And, the Handera? Why has it taken the 'palm' market so long to push the
Grafitti User Interface off of the display real-estate as a silk screen
overprint, and into a software display that arises as needed? Duh!! Yes, I
know that Apple in its turn made this same error of judgment. :-)

Regards,

Richard.