Re: [NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 13:22:10 EDT

on 9/7/01 3:24 AM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:

> we're trying to find a legitimate way of doing something other
> than say "too bad, so sad."

I'm trying to avoid this discussion, but here is a question.

What if, unfortunately, the only legitimate way _is_ to say "to bad, so
sad." What then, eh? Is this something that people are willing to do? Or,
then does it become, well, we are going to do what we want (or think we
need). I think this needs to be seriously considered. What if our choices
are limited to this?

In a like vein, somebody quoted somebody else, with the upshot that
copyright exists to forward sceience and the arts, etc. That protecting the
original works allows it to be propogated, thus furthering the ends of
science. In application to the Newton, couldn't some of us write new
software based on these older models, without using their code? This would
sound reasonable, especially if they could correct those niggling problems
that all software seems to have.:-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams