Re: [NTLK] More on law

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:47:51 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/7/01 2:22 PM, the entity known as
Templarsog1_at_aol.com at Templarsog1_at_aol.com conveyed the following:

> From this stems the notion of private property and all those rights
> associated with that concept.
>
> If you build a house, boat, or anything else and you choose not to 'use
> it', does that mean that in 5,10,15,20 years someone should be able to come
> along and say,"well, you are not using this so I will". I don't think so,

Private (tangible) property and intellectual property have always been
treated differently, and for good reason. A perpetual monopoly on ideas
brings progress to a halt -- how can I create a new idea by springboarding
off an old one if I'm not allowed to use the old idea??

Remember, PATENTS expire. Why shouldn't copyrights?

- Eric.