Re: [NTLK] was ...law, now U.S.

From: Thomas Cherry (jceaser_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:27:36 EDT

I was in DC this weekend and spoke with someone at the Library of=20
Congress distributing information on copy right laws. I asked him about=20=

our little discussion here and he told me that using, coping, and=20
distributing someone's software with out there consent is not legal, but=20=

the seriousness is not very clear. I
asked what happens when you try to contact the copyright holder and you=20=

do not succeed and you break the copyright anyways. He said that you=20
will just have to try to prove to a judge that you made a good effort to=20=

contact, but that did not mean you would win the case simply because you=20=

tried, nor does it mean your attempt is meaningless. It is all up to=20
the judge. I left him with him commenting that there are a lot of=20
different arguments that can be made, and if you break a copyright, you=20=

do so at your own risk.

hope this help.

--
Fear is the path to the Dark Side.  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to=20=

hate, hate leads to suffering-- Yoda, Jedi Master =EF=A3=BF