[NTLK] Dragon Demo package finally available for all

From: Ken Whitcomb (ken_at_imageguild.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 23:10:54 EDT

After way too much grief in trying to get this package in a place where it
could be tested and finally downloadable, it is at:

http://www.imageguild.com/dragon/

It is uncompressed and 460 KB large.

Knock yourselves out.

If you've just tuned in to this saga (which spawned one of the longest
running OT threads that I've ever seen here, perhaps second only to the
"it's green", "it's black" thread), Dragon Demo is a demonstration of the
capabilities of voice-recognition software that Dragon was working on in the
unseemly late part of 1997. Apparently, no one else in the newton universe
has a copy of this other than me. And I took it for granted that everyone
had it. That is until Mark Rollins posted a thread about his attempts to get
a copy of what Dragon was working on back then and his frustrations, etc.

So a couple of weeks of struggling to get it out of my Newton, some delays,
and much speculation about why PackageBuddy seemingly broke the file when
removing it, eventually we put it in the hands of Mark and John Powell. They
were both successful in installing the pkg. Paul G. has it now as well and
you too can join the ranks of the Dragon Demo!

Bear in mind that it won't convert spoken words into text unless you use a
line-in mic. (The mic need not be a pre-amped type though.)

Have fun one and all!

The next time I play with it, I'll shoot some photos/video and perhaps post
something that shows how it works for those of us without an
interconnect/audio-in adapter for the external microphone.

Maybe we should have a photo contest for the most unusual Mic hookup for
this software. <I can see Rich's wheels turning already!>

Cheers,

ken