Re: [NTLK] Deepest sympathy for the assassinated

From: Judy Perry (jperryl_at_ecs.fullerton.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 11:16:39 EDT

If responding in-kind is doesn't achieve the end of violence (as has been
suggested), history certainly shows that praying for it doesn't achieve
the results we'd like, either.

I suspect most people would agree with you in your plea to save the lives
of the innocent anywhere, be they in Afghanistan, Israel, Arab countries,
Spain, the Philippines, Indonesia, the US... However, remember that in
WWII (an ugly affair, undoubtedly), it wasn't until the people of Germany
had had their lives ruined that they finally turned on Hitler.. until
then, many simply watched their neighbors being hauled off to certain
horrible death.. some, fantastically, even hung around like vultures to
realize financial profit.

While I don't advocate the mass destruction of civilians, the innocent
aren't always simply that.

Judy Perry