Re: [NTLK] Carpman has left the Arena.

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 20:05:02 EDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:40:52 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> ThisOlNewt_at_aol.com wrote:
>
> >In a message dated 8/24/01 2:25:35 PM, you wrote:
> >
> ><<everyone
> >> still believes that OSX is the death of the Newton.
> >
> >Do we ? We might have to keep using classic, but who cares ?>>
> >
> >I actually got an old Color classic. I may dedicate this machine to be
my
> >NCU box..
>
> That's what I do. I have almost a dozen old machines. I dedicate
> each to a specific task, since they are all so old. I can do a lot
> with all of them, even though their combined cost is less than thirty
> dollars! I have even dedicated one to watching the BBC World News
> and listening to The Mac Show Live (and any other internet
> broadcasts). They are all networked and work together so
> wonderfully. It is just a pity that the web server went down and my
> brother took the network printer off to college with him while I
> slept soundly.
>
> -James

Getting another networkable printer should be no major problem 'cos I'm
after just the same thing though there is software around that is supposed
to connect mac-types to serial-ported epson-types but I go out and pick up a
nice printer only to find it will only work with win-doze specific drivers:
doesn't that make you sick?
What amazes me is how you manage to get a networked solution running, even
just thinking of the power requirements. I have just the PowerPC running all
the time as it has seti_at_home running and I'm within the last hour before
completing my 5th batch of data from that arecibo dish: of course it is the
only machine sporting NCU and it is the machine on which I am typing right
now, having failed in my many attempts to get mailing via the Newt (eMate).
The other machine I use is the Apple IIGS so having the PowerPC able to read
ProDOS disks is cool but it's such a drag not to be able to transfer docs in
the other direction so maybe that is one advantage of hooking them serial to
serial as at least their ports are similar and maybe I could figure out how
to get the IIGS to take downloads from the newt. Apart from that, there is
still that old IBM klone I "inherited" from a volunteer programme with which
I spent quite a few years but that is "merely" MSDOS 5.0 and I've been using
it more for the recycled Epson printer attached and the vague fantasy of
getting my ancient MSDOS handheld back from the repairfolk (which, in turn,
'could', serial-serial, port text data into an antediluvian *apple III*
You reckon you're kit totals at 30 bucks? Get real: it must be way more if
only for the spare parts: bearing in mind that I heard somewhere that the
space program started with systems simpler than the old Intel 80286 and
Steve Garcia had books out on how to get sonar rangefinders, camera-feed and
speech-recognition wired into an *apple II*, just think of what even your
older kit can achieve in terms of remote-control of home appliances and
data-gathering from scientific equipment (weather, &c.), monitor household
power consumption, &c., and of course there's the burgeoning field of
home-robotics...
Just think what we could do if we had the quality time and familiarity with
the hardware specifics and internal architecture of these items: I mean they
*must* be good to have survived so long. <|;-)
John J.