Re: [NTLK] question to programers...music related

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 07:31:37 EDT

> how difficult/easy would it be to do this on the Newton?
> is this, perhaps, already out there? and i'm just blind.
The professional tuner you're speaking about has very likely special
hardware to do the task. The point is the required very high accuracy of the
measurement (the human ear can hear differences of parts of a Hertz) as well
as the speed of the display. The only way to achive this is my means of a
PLL tuner (phase locked loop) combined with a nicely crystal stabilized
nominal frequency base. The Newton lacks all this and its OS is way to
inaccurate to match the required very low jitter requirements on this
special task. However, the Newton could probably provide a quite useable
frequency measurement of the absolute tune and possibly down to 0.5Hz error
with its built-in hard- and software.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing