[NTLK] AW: Symantec ACT for Newton

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 02:30:08 EDT

Long time ago I gave it a try (Act 2.1).
First: it works with WinDOSE only.
Second: it does not integrate to any other desktop application you might already have and use on your PC.
Third: the performance is rather bad and there are a lot of errors.
Fourth: the result of the transfer (I tried only from Newt to PC) is really unsatisfactory.
Fifth: also on the Newt the application does not integrate to the names and calendar application, it is fully isolated.
Sixth: I decided to wipe it out.

Depending on your personal needs there are several solutions which work fine.
Unfortunately there seems to be no complete allround-solution which works fine.
Thus I use different applications for Mac and PC of course and also different applications to transfer names and calendar data.
For transferring names I recently tried Newtourage, which is able to import/export from Newton names to MS Entourage.
This is a nice application and maybe a next version will allow to transfer calendar and notes data as well.
For transferring the calendar data to my Mac I use Clockwork. This works very well in both directions, but you must accept to have a separate calendar program (Clockwork) on your Mac.
For exchanging data between PC and Newt I use LookOut. It works fine with MS Outlook, except a few minor problems you can transfer/sync names and calendar data from and to the PC. I can recommend this.

Cheers
Johannes