Re: [NTLK] Another MP120 Question

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 11:23:37 EDT

on 9/20/01 11:16 AM, Samuel Jacobson at jacobson98_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> I recently picked up some rechargeable 1000 mAH NiCd batteries and, after
> charging them for ~17 hours, put them into my MP120. However I noticed that
> the unit only listed a 90% charge and, after only ~10 minutes of adding
> appointments to my dates the charge had dropped to 80%. At this rate I will
> only get a few hours use out the batteries before they need to be
> recharged. Is there anything that can be done about this?

I'm not sure, but I think that 1000 mAH is pretty low charge, as I think
I've read that some people were using 1500 and even 1600 mAH NiCADs. So,
that may explain why the Newton displays a charge of 90% initially. I don't
remember what was the original charge of the NiCAD recharging pack, but you
can assume that the power manager they put in the Newton was designed for
their power characteristics. So, if you put higher capacity NiCAD, the
Newton will erroneously provide charge information. The same will happen if
you put lower capacity NiCAD, the Newton will assume that they aren't fully
recharged, even though they are.

Frank Gruendel might confirm this more precisely than me...

-Laurent.

crippleware n.: 1. [common] Software that has some important functionality
deliberately removed, so as to entice potential users to pay for a working
version. 2. [Cambridge] Variety of guiltware that exhorts you to donate to
some charity (compare careware, nagware). 3. Hardware deliberately crippled,
which can be upgraded to a more expensive model by a trivial change (e.g.,
cutting a jumper). An excellent example of crippleware (sense 3) is Intel's
486SX chip, which is a standard 486DX chip with the co-processor diked out
(in some early versions it was present but disabled). To upgrade, you buy a
complete 486DX chip with working co-processor (its identity thinly veiled by
a different pinout) and plug it into the board's expansion socket. It then
disables the SX, which becomes a fancy power sink. Don't you love Intel?