Re: [NTLK] [TALK] Disappointment

From: System Support Products, Inc. (sspi_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 00:07:29 EDT

David Watson wrote:
> For the last 3+ years, I've provided the Newton community with inexpensive
> repairs and MP2000 upgrades as a way to help support my family.
>
> I've provided quick service ( typically shipping within a couple days of
> receiving a unit ).
>
> Often while doing a repair I've done more than advertised ( example:
> replacing a broken unrelated part if I had a spare ) for free.
>
> Now I read that someone is attempting to undercut my MP2000 upgrade business
> by selling just the chips for a little less than what I charge to solder
> them in place.
>
> I guess that's the "thanks" some people have for my efforts.

    I certainly wouldn't take it personally. Yes, you are known for
your great service and that says a lot. And obviously, if your price
which includes installation is only slightly higher than buying just
the chip, you have a much better deal.

    An alternate supply of upgrade chips could actually be an
opportunity for you if supply gets tight (or already is), then you or
your customers have an alternate source for parts. Personally, if I
ever had a Newton that needed to be upgraded, I would certainly let
you do it. I'm not about to take a soldering iron to a working
Newton, especially a 2K.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer