Re: [NTLK] Another MP120 Question

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 07:37:46 EDT

on 9/20/01 5:39 PM, Samuel Jacobson at jacobson98_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Yet the questions still remains. Is there anything that I can do about
> what I am being told is the charge available in the battery? Or, is the
> information I am being given (I am using Avi's backdrop) not accurate on a
> NOS 2.0 MP120? If the information is accurate then I am going to be stuck
> with a unit that will only have a daily battery charge of a few hours?

The information you are receiving is not accurate. The reason is simple. The
Newton expects normal batteries, but NiCads don't operate like Duracells or
other such batteries. If you want an accurate readout, simply take a piece
of cardboard, fold it up and put it in the battery compartment under the
batteries, and over the little switch that is in there. After you've done
that you will be able to 1. get an accurate readout of the batteries'
charge, and 2. actually charge those nicads in the Newton. In fact, if you
still have the metal cage from the original battery pack, you can put it
over your new batteries (if you haven't taken the original batteries apart,
peel off the metal part very, very carefully, and you will be able to re-use
the adhesive), and have a simple way to insert and remove them.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland