Re: [NTLK] NewtJDic (was: Berlitz and languages)

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_BOS.StreamServe.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 10:07:59 EDT

> Thank you for the links! I downloaded Mr. Gerstein's very
> large NewtJDict
> and it is most impressive (although I did not think I would
> ever download a
> ~5 MB newton package)!

I'm glad people are using and liking my software :)
Re the extremely large size of the dictionary, that's the next thing I want
to work on. Right now it's stored in Unicode, and I can probably cut it to
about 2/3 of its current size by storing in some MBCS like SJIS and
converting as I go.. a bit of extra work, but probably well worth it.
Anybody out there have experience with compressing dictionary-like texts?
There must be some special techniques, and I'd love to find something better
than the built in Newton package compression.

> However I am just beginning my studies of Japanese and, while this
> dictionary will translate E->J and J->E it does not seem to give any
> pronunciations of the Japanese words. Do you know if it is
> possible to get
> the dictionary to do this? Yet as my knowledge of the
> characters/words grow
> this will, of course, become less and less a problem.

Hmm... it's true that it doesn't give the romaji, but the pronounciation is
there in hiragana. Currently there's no way to have it show romaji instead,
but I'll put it on my list for a possible future enhancement. For the time
being, I'd recommend studying hiragana, as there are only about forty five
of them, and they're really useful.

> Also, do you know why there is a Computer dictionary listed with the
> NewtJDict packages as the Computer dictionary does not seem to have
> anything to do with the Japanese/English dictionary?

It's another dictionary of the same form as the primary dictionary, but
specifically computer terms in Japanese, and their English equivalents. I
can convert any dictionary meant to be used with software that uses Jim
Breen's EDICT.. proabably any text file with one entry on each line,
actually...

Regards,
        Sam